Reply To: PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds… Reply To: PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds…

jacquelineannex
Participant

I know I’m not a parent but I just wanted to say… I was only diagnosed at 25 and I wished that it was recognised when I was younger. If I was on medication growing up then it would have made my life so much easier as a teenager and adult. Medication really does make a difference in focusing and taking things in. After years of not being able to do any of this I have horrible memory and learning deficiencies because I couldn’t focus enough when I was younger and never learnt basics. My self esteem is horrible because I’ve grown up thinking I’m stupid and worthless. I believe that my ADHD and lack of diagnosis has caused a lot of other mental health problems. One thing I wish is that someone recognised this earlier and I was on medication from a younger age. Going on medication now is hard because I’m so used to being hyperactive that I feel like I’m not myself being calmer. I feel like my ADHD is my personality now because its how I have always been. But one thing I know is that medication really does make a difference. Since being on my medication my memory has improved, I can actually sit and study and I’m not as impulsive and reckless as before. Don’t underestimate the importance of medication. If this were a physical condition there wouldn’t be any question of whether medication is the answer.. but because we can’t see it theres so much stigma.