Reply To: PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds… Reply To: PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds…

beeyond1817
Participant

I would like to comment on this post. My son who is now 9 was just now professionally diagnosed with adhd- innatentive type. Slight ODD not much. We put two and two together when he was in 2nd grade, but each teacher tried to tell us before that and we just chalked it up to being a young boy behavior. The older our son got the more it was to handle his adhd. Not just for those around him, but for himself too. I avoided meds at all costs. We did several different alternatives. Nothing helped. Diet, cognitive behavior, structure lifestyle… NOTHING. It wasn’t until we had his 4th grade parent teacher conference and his sweet teacher was in tears for our son. She said in the 18years she had been teaching she had never seen it this bad. His impulse control, and forgetfulness, relationships with peers, and family were all suffering. The only thing that wasn’t suffering were his grades. He’s very smart. This disorder has nothing to do with intelligence. After really coming to reality that his quality of life is suffering. I decided it was time. We decided to go with 10mg of Ritalin. After an hour long conversation with our dr about the different types of medicine and how each one reacts in the body that is the one we decided to go with. I liked that it’s been around the longest, and it was able to be given as needed and not necessary for weekends and summer. Also the scary side effects you read about for meds like this have not been an issue for us at all. So thank god for that. It’s only been about two months and our life has been turned completely around. He’s making friends, his teacher isn’t struggling to keep him on task, at home his relationship with his brother has drastically improved, us as parents are in ah over how he listens, remembers to use his manners, pays attention to the world around him. He’s not a robot. He is still my funny, quirky, little boy I’ve always loved but with out all the fog. It’s like before he was living in a cloud and now he’s free. One of the best things that’s been the most impressive change is his confidence. He feels more comfortable to try new things, say what’s on his mind in class, give compliments, and all around be engaging with Those around him. One very important thing the dr told us to make sure we did, was not talk about the medicine with him. If you treat it like a fix all pull, or the answer to everything they will grow up learning that this is what you need in order to do well. We give it to him along with his vitamin in the morning and treat it like a supplement. I told him once that this picks up where your body lacks just like a calcium or any supplement does. He also casually mentioned once that it helps him and he can tell that it helps him. So I think that’s a good thing. I’ve been very aware of making sure he is eating, sleeping, growing and no side effects are happening and so far so good. I have hopes that as he gets older he will no longer need this medicine but at the same time if he does than so be it. We will cross those bridges together when the time comes. For the longest time I felt like it wasn’t my place to medicate someone else. I never felt comfortable with that. But I will say at the end of that parent teacher meeting I asked one last question and that was “does my son have any friends” her answer was no not really. I knew at that moment it was lent fair to him anymore he needed my help, and that is my responsibility. I needed to intervene and I have no regrets. Good luck on your journey.