Reply To: PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds… Reply To: PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds…

MrsHrox
Participant

I could have written this post 2 months ago. You have exactly described our son, also 7. We saw signs very early on (before kindergarten) but never had him officially diagnosed until he was unable to complete ANY work in 2nd grade and was not only distracted but becoming a distraction to the class. We had been using routines, printed visual charts, workbooks, magnesium supplements, nutritional supplements, Epsom baths…you name it. Behavior modifications are great and we also practice positive parenting, but when your child cannot focus to process anything it becomes a huge cycle of frustration for all involved. In order to get a plan in place at school we had to label it and finally got him diagnosed. I cried the second she mentioned stimulants. I never wanted to give my child ‘drugs’ but seeing him struggle in every area of his life was enough for me to swallow my mom guilt over medicating my child. She started him on Concerta 18mg and day one I noticed an immediate difference… He heard me for maybe the first time. He was present. However, that same afternoon he had a massive crash and the most epic tantrum ever. We rode it out for 2 weeks as directed and some things got better but he was still falling behind at school and we started to see some aggression and he was super fidgety. She switched him to Vyvanse and what was awesome about that is there is no waiting to see how it’s going to affect him so we’d know pretty quickly if it was a good fit. Lucky for us, attempt number two on medicine was a hit for him and he is finally able to keep up at school and regulate his emotions and actually have conversations with me and others. He’s a different kid without having any ill side effects. He takes 20 mg of Vyvanse and then 7.5 mg Adderall in the afternoon since the Vyvanse does wear off pretty quickly, he needs something to get him through homework and karate. Seeing the difference in him at school and with his siblings and friends in the neighborhood I have zero regrets about giving him medication. Do I wish that I didn’t have to? Of course. But that’s our reality. My husband was diagnosed with ADHD at age 27 shortly after we were married (15 years ago) and has just recently started taking the same medication as my middle son and we are in the process of having our 13 year old daughter diagnosed… I had no idea it presented so differently in girls until I immersed myself in research after E was diagnosed and now it’s crystal clear to us. I am hopeful that when she can start medicine she will see a huge difference in her life as well. We are selective with who we tell because of the judgement but anyone who wants to question our decision to medicate our child who has a neurobiological disorder can take him home for a week (unmedicated) and let me know their plan to ‘fix’ it.