Reply To: Careers

We had a good medication, a generic Concerta, that was at 54 mg for years and I was doing really well with that, but for some reason my heart rate was suddenly through the roof all the time. We got an EKG and blood work done and my iron was kinda low but there wasn’t really any discernible reason. They told me maybe I just had a naturally high heart rate but it was never a problem until about a year ago. The various non-stimulants they’ve been trying don’t really do much for the ADHD…

I’m kinda stuck right now. If a higher dose of strattera doesn’t work they’ll test other stimulants but they don’t want to put a lot of stain on my heart. I definitely want to try higher education, I’m just afraid I won’t be up to it. I could handle community college, but I don’t know about a big school with advanced academics.

I don’t know how long it’ll take to find the right medication for me. When we went through the process the first time, after my diagnosis, I was in elementary school, so the time it took wasn’t a big deal. But If I don’t have it figured out by the time college comes around next year, I don’t know what I’ll do. I can’t exactly take a gap year if I want to use that scholarship.

After everything that happened last year, I’d like to be in a position where I can keep going even if I can’t figure out my medication situation or get back to how I used to be. I’m just afraid that a big University isn’t such a position.