Reply To: Careers

kbj2017
Participant

Yeah that’ll happen. Sure it’s cute and kinda funny while we’re little & we don’t fully understand the significance of it, but once we’re old enough to grasp it, IT’S THE MOST FRIGHTENING CONCEPT ON THE PLANET! Trust me, I’m 19 years old going through it in college right now. It’s been very difficult making the adjustments, especially with ADHD. However, I really enjoy going to my classes (most days, not all) and learning, not only during lectures, but also about myself.
Like you, I also want to become a Psychiatrist so I can help others with ADHD. I really can see myself doing that in the future when I take time to sit back & let my mind wander off. IT TOOK A LOT OF MEDITATION PRACTICE TO GET THERE.

Of course you can get a good job without going to college. It may be tougher, but it’s possible. Anyway, I’m getting off topic. My point is, I was just as worried & anxious about my future 2 years ago as you are now. What I can tell you is this: Relax, you’ll be fine. We’re not even 20 years old yet lol. You don’t have to figure everything out right now (I’m still learning to accept this advice myself). Just take it one day at a time, and whatever responsibilities you have (old & new) just roll with them.

I know it feels as if the people closest to you are pushing for you to go to school, because they ARE. Hell, my dad DESPERATELY wants me to stay in school to take advantage of what he didn’t get the chance to growing up. He wanted to be a lawyer in school but once I came along, he couldn’t do that, so I understand where he’s coming from. However, I’m not choosing to stay in school for him anymore (I did last year & I flunked that year), I’m doing it for me now & I’m doing A LOT better. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes every now and then on your journey (THIS TOO IS TOUGH FOR ME TO ACCEPT).

I guess my overall point in saying this is to tell you to make these big decisions based on what you want for yourself, and not what other people want for you. No matter how much they may mean to you, the only person that truly matters to you is YOU. Maybe you do want to stay at that restaurant & see if you can move up the ranks, maybe manage it at some point (Managers make a decent living, though it take a while to get there, you can do it!). Or you want to go to college & take advantage of that scholarship (I did) to get your education & position yourself for a career in Psychiatry (you can do that too!) it’s the journey I’m on btw lol. Whatever you choose, you’re in a good position to do either one. Just make sure it’s you making the choice & not anyone else. Trust me, the fact that you’re as anxious about your future, just means you care about it enough to not end up doing something you DON’T want to do for the rest of your life.

Hopefully this helps,
-Kendall Boults Jr.