Reply To: Is this ADHD or did I marry a manipulative con artist?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Is this ADHD or did I marry a manipulative con artist? Reply To: Is this ADHD or did I marry a manipulative con artist?

Andler
Participant

It sounds like you’re living with someone who has never had to do anything on his own and never had to take responsibility for his actions. As a male who has ADHD, I can’t manipulate shit. I take care of all of our bills because my wife is a manager of print and mail operations of an insurance company. She’s got a lot on her plate and it’s easier to just take care of it so she doesn’t have too. If there is a history of manipulation in his family, he’s probably not too far from it. This alone is concerning to me as you ultimately will end up with a stay at home slob who won’t even clean up or cook because he’s busy looking for new jobs.

I used to lie about dumb shit, but lying has consequences and I got tired of trying to keep up. My life has been very simple since I’ve started being truthful. I lied about buying shit when we were broke, or omitting where money was going at times without talking to my wife about it.

I’d highly suggest getting out of this relationship as it seems he’s just a good ole’ piece of shit, not ADHD. He likely can’t manipulate anyone at the jobs he’s getting, so he’s acting like a toddler who isn’t getting his way and just leaving. Or he’s getting fired for trying to manipulate things and getting caught. At some point, he will be completely jobless and still, nothing will change.