Reply To: Harassment unfair treatment at work advice legal or other plz

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Harassment unfair treatment at work advice legal or other plz Reply To: Harassment unfair treatment at work advice legal or other plz

Eddielan
Participant

I was then brought to a meeting with three supervisors all saying im having issues with paying attention that i was caught sleeping with my hood up>>

I just want to begin by saying that your post was a bit upsetting for me — I’m glad you shared it. I’m in a similar situation. Actually, I got sacked the other day. It was a bizarre situation. The ADD was making it difficult for me to learn things. (I could have raised the issue, but it is a Japanese run company, and the type of industry where talking about ADHD, neuro-diversity or even learner diversity is not going to work.)

Basically, from day one it was very apparent that this job was not going to work, but I had to hold on, and it was killing me, so I kind of felt relieved when I was fired (even though it was the best paying job of my life.).
One thing I felt odd — the reason they fired me was incongruent with the reasons they should have. My guess is that they were looking for a reason to let me go, probably perceived me as incapable of learning, but had some line they felt they had to toe.

In my case, what happened is that they hired me as a manager. The training was poor — but even so, the ADHD was making learning even more difficult and it was frustrating other workers, who in turn were becoming hostile to me, and the hostility spread. I tried to tell my immediate boss’s that I was aware I had things I needed to work on, but that it was not the job of subordinates to mouth off at me with approval of the manager (a clear violation of the company’s policies.) In fact, I told the individuals who were mouthing off at me that I agreed with many of their opinions, but the issues were between me and my own boss and not for discussion on the floor during hours of operation — however, the immediate manager was encouraging the behavior. I sent three written complaints in two different languages discussing the problem and possible solutions — but they were ignored. Finally, there was a situation in which a frustrated worker began mouthing off at me in the middle of the day. I gave him verbal warning, then requested that the manager write him up and he refused. After he continued to badger me, I said in a loud voice that I agree with what he’s saying, but its against company policy to argue with workers or management on the floor of the shop, and this had to be taken into a meeting — and the general manager just stood in the corner smiling, at which point, I lost my temper. I wasn’t physically threatening or using foul or threatening language, but I was obviously worked up, and I told him in a loud voice to deal with the situation or I was going to complain to his boss, and he said, “go ahead…” So I called the VP and set up a meeting. During the meeting I had my wife come as an interpreter to make sure there was no possibility of miscommunication and described what happened — I took responsibility for the frustrations of the workers, but pointed out that they were still violating company policy and I also offered solutions which the VP agreed with. –He said that he would have a meeting to reprimand the employee and I suggested I should stay off the floor of the shop until after the meeting to avoid further tension. He said the meeting would be held that night.

To make a long story short, I received a call later in the afternoon to come back for a meeting, but the location was not at the shop, it was at the main HQ — a bad sign. When I went to his office (which is in the basement) he told me to wait upstairs, which I thought was strange, but thought maybe it was possible that we were going to drive over to the other place. At that point they formally greeted me and led me into their office and asked me if I raised my voice at the employee. I said that I had stated so repeatedly, in my complaint and in the meeting earlier that day, and did so after numerous attempts to dissipate the situation without support of the general manager. He actually looked surprised and claimed he “found it out by reviewing the CCTV footage.” I said to review the footage and he will see that I had made NUMEROUS attempts to speak to the employee calmly and he was following me around the shop and berating me and using insubordinate language, including “I don’t have to listen to your shit,” and I was not getting support from the manager. He then handed me the company “policy” and asked me to read it, which says that employees are to be dealt with in a calm voice, and stated that I violated the company policy and he had decided to dismiss me because they were not satisfied with my performance. At that point I was almost relieved and stated that I would accept termination due to failure to complete the 90 day trial, but stated that I would accept dismissal for not passing the trial period, but not misconduct, and he agreed. Unfortunately, I do not qualify for unemployment. I do have some possible job offers in the bag, but am sick and disgusted over the situation — the frustrated worker had a right to be frustrated, but at the same time, the management had no right to allow me to be bullied by staff in violation of their own policies.

Anyway, I feel your pain… 😮