Reply To: I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please? Reply To: I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please?

strwbry
Participant

I used to feel that way ALL the time. Two things have helped me:

1. I don’t care what people think. I’ve accepted that my ADHD makes me weird and laugh about it. I think I’m awesome and my friends think I’m awesome. That’s all I need. Plus, I’m an introvert. I only need like 3 friends to be happy. It sounds like you don’t even like these women. They sound like awful beings. I wouldn’t waste my time trying to fit in with them. Trust me. Not caring what they think gives you back your inner power and makes it so much easier to put up with them.

2. I drag my husband along. Yup. He’s the prop. Usually it’s to family functions where I don’t fit in and everyone is loud and opinionated. He just so happens to be extroverted, so he’ll take the focus off of me and give me someone to wink at when everyone is being ridiculous. Sometimes, he’ll even make sure I’m included in the conversation, but I can think of nothing worse than the moment when all those women stop talking and stare at me, waiting for me to speak… Lol! But seriously, just knowing someone is there who knows you and loves you makes a world of difference. Maybe next time y’all go out you could suggest inviting the spouses/families/significant others. Although, if they’re as wired as they sound, they may not want the hubs around.

Best of luck to you Honey!