Reply To: I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please? Reply To: I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please?

BoP
Participant

The worst part is when the rude people who talk over me turn things around and call me rude–because I am not talking enough! My mother-in-law did this all the time. She would ask a question. I would try to answer, and she would already be talking over me. Then I was rude! This also happened with the husband of my wife’s friend. He said he wanted to meet me at a bar. When I showed up, he ambushed me with the “why are you so rude” questioning because I didn’t talk enough. Naturally, he always spoke over me whenever I tried.

Another big problem with this–Sometimes, I genuinely have something to say about conversations. I try to say it, but get cut off. I try again several times and get cut off. By the time I have an opportunity to speak, the ADHD-directed conversation has changed to a completely different topic and my contribution is no longer relevant.