Reply To: Help can’t find a med that worked as good as Focalin and I’m not sure what to do

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Help can’t find a med that worked as good as Focalin and I’m not sure what to do Reply To: Help can’t find a med that worked as good as Focalin and I’m not sure what to do

Penny Williams
Keymaster

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.

Sounds like you’ve already determined that your son does better on methylphenidates. Interestingly, Focalin is primarily a methylphenidate but has a little dex. My son also can’t take amphetamines. He did well on pure dex though (was too short acting) and Focalin was the worst thing we tried of all of them. You just really never know.

I found that the higher the dose of the long-acting meds got, the worse the evening crash. I think it has a lot to do with how vast the divide is between a lot of medicine and no medicine. We decided the higher dose wasn’t worth the extremes.

here’s a great primer on ADHD meds:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism