Reply To: I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please? Reply To: I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please?

penguindrooster
Participant

You are definitely not alone. But remember that people like that use bragging and hateful tales as a way of hiding from their own agonized feelings of loneliness and pathological insecurity.
Nevertheless they’re obnoxious and hideous and don’t deserve a minute of your concern.
That said, getting stuff done at work requires mumutual cooperation so you need to make them think you are a team player.
Here’s how: When they’re boasting about themselves listen for something that piques your interest, even it its only a little bit. Then interrupt them and ask them to elaborate on what they just said. This will convince them you are listening and give you extra points for showing an interest.
There’s an old American book called “How to Win Friends and Influence People” the book contains a million little strategies for making those around you feel heard.