Reply To: I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please? Reply To: I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please?

Boomer
Participant

This is an excellent subject, but I don’t think it’s related to ADD, rather it’s an introvert vs extrovert issue. Perhaps with social anxiety adding to it. I don’t have ADD (I’m an ADD mom) and everything you describe fits me exactly. Please strongly consider reading the book PC0023 recommended on introverts. Some ways I survive the social world are: only accepting invitations if a close friend is also attending, that I know will pull me into conversations, and I can hang with. Note-I’m only invited because I’m a member of that particular group- like a get together for all moms in a classroom, and it would be awkward if I was the only one not invited, I call it the polite invitation…and they are hoping I won’t accept. I sometimes want to attend because it helps to network for volunteering purposes etc. And I may meet someone new that I can relate to. If it’s a small group I sit by the quiet types and try to carry on separate conversations with them. There are some unavoidable awkward situations where I’m clearly the odd man out, I just make an excuse to leave. I think I’m a couple of decades older than most on this feed, so want to encourage you all to get out there in the world, I promise you’ll meet good friends, feel confident that there is nothing wrong with you, the world is just made up of different types/personalities.