Reply To: 15 yr old daughter and Social Skills

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents 15 yr old daughter and Social Skills Reply To: 15 yr old daughter and Social Skills

kmerriam90
Participant

I was this girl. I still am some days, but I am a lot better than I used to be. The only person I text over and over is my husband and that’s not very often anymore.
I get in fights on social media a lot and I feel like I can’t control it and I don’t know why I do it. Again, that is better than it used to be. I used to get into really nasty fights every other day and now its maybe once or twice a month.
I get really nervous if I am going into a social event without my meds because I miss a lot of social cues and because of that, people think I’m weird. Well, I am weird, but it’s a black lips, nerdy, bookworm kind of weird, not a social pariah kind of weird. I never had friends in high school. Plenty at school, but no one ever invited me anywhere or accepted my invitations. To this day, I have yet to throw a party that people actually came to. My kids’ birthday parties is as good as it gets.

So, there is hope for her. I am 28 now, so it’s a very slow going, but I have hope that I will continue to improve. She just needs your guidance more than other kids and you will have to be more patient with results and be her rock and support when she makes her entire world crumble over and o er. She will need that stability. I’ve improved more over the last 4 years than I had prior and that has a lot to do with have my husband by my side through all of the chaos keeping me grounded.

Good luck!