Reply To: I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please? Reply To: I feel so left out – it’s like I’m invisible. Any advice please?

seashell
Participant

OMG 😮 Honey, you sound just like me – I’m so glad that you have posted today as I’m experiencing a similar situation.

I have for some time now been meeting up with a couple of mums, one of them whom I have known for 10 years now. We meet for lunch every so often but I really don’t enjoy it because they are so bitchy, calling people down but being ever so nice to their face and chatty on their Facebook. It doesn’t sit right with me and I feel really uncomfortable when they do it because it’s just not me. I just have no time for this kind of behaviour. It belongs in the school playground! I’m a genuine person like yourself, who has a good laugh with my husband and kids, yet being in the company of these women makes me also feel invisible and I think that they see me as strange just because I’m quiet and don’t give them the juicy gossip they so thrive on. When we were last out, they hardly spoke to me and proceeded to bitch constantly, talking to each other to the point that I got up to go to the loo because I felt so bad. I was almost crying in the loo. when I got home and confided in my husband, he said that they clearly have different values from me and thought that I should just stop meeting up with them, but do it in such a way that keeps my dignity, without a big fall out. So, any invites I get to meet up are now met with a polite thanks, sorry I can’t manage but do enjoy your lunch…

You have no idea how glad I am to know that I’m not alone in feeling like this. The other posters are right – why should you change? I’m certainly not going to – I’ll carry on being they way that I am. I know that I’m a good friend, confidante and someone who can be relied upon. Life’s too short for all this nonsense and, like you Honey, I cannot be arsed with it!

Take care xx