Reply To: My 13yr hates when friends ask her about her accommodations

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Friendships & Activities My 13yr hates when friends ask her about her accommodations Reply To: My 13yr hates when friends ask her about her accommodations

Spaceboy 99
Participant

I’d like to say that the ideal response is ‘Because I’m awesome’, but I know what kids are like, and that sort of thing doesn’t always fly.

I’m also extremely reluctant to say that it’s just one of those things, but that obviously doesn’t help. Teenagers instinctively feel a need to try to fit in, and difficulty doing that just causes massive amounts of stress, meaning things like obvious accommodations are far less than ideal.

The best advice I can give is to just be there when she needs it, constantly remind her that she is not inferior to anybody in the world, even with her accommodations, and generally just be the awesome parent that you sound like. Hopefully, in a few months, people will be used to her accommodations, and won’t say a word or bat an eyelid, then she won’t need to worry any more.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.