Reply To: Feeling resentful about his ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Feeling resentful about his ADHD Reply To: Feeling resentful about his ADHD

kbj2017
Participant

The last few days have been wonderful for me. I was feeling burnt out last week since this semester has been BRUTAL. I was able to take the weekend to relax and recharge my batteries. I binged watched one of my favorite shows as a kid, and my mom made banana pudding!
I’m saying this for 2 reasons:
1) To give you a jolt of positivity that you need right now.
2) To remind you that it’s important to appreciate the small things in the midst of negativity.
I don’t see you losing resolve which is good, but I do see you becoming more resentful by the day, which is fine. However, it’s critical that you not treat this process as a means to an end. If that is the case (IDK), then you’ll never feel satisfied deep inside, because you’re looking for a “eureka moment” where he realizes how he needs to change and actually begins working to change it.
That’s not how it works.
It’s CRITICAL for him to recognize where he’s falling short, don’t get me wrong, because this is a two-way street. Remember that slap in the face that we talked about? It applies here. You may have to change it up a bit. Or maybe voice these feelings to him.

Hopefully this helps, we’re all here for you.
-Kendall Boults Jr.