Reply To: How do you make therapy productive?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD How do you make therapy productive? Reply To: How do you make therapy productive?

Janice Della Badia
Participant

Hi JackH — as a therapist/coach and an adult with ADHD (wow, now there’s a triple play) I found what I needed, and what my own client’s need is a solution-focused style. someone to help me figure out the best skills and methods that worked for me. Some people love an electronic calendar — I can’t figure the darn things out! I use a planner, and I can see my entire week, figure out the amount of time I’ll need for each entry, and prioritize so people and things don’t get lost in the shuffle.

Coaching is great, but you must be motivated and pretty much a self-starter. Mindfulness, meditation, are wonderful skills to use to calm yourself, find direction, and so on. You may want help with relationships, dating, friendships, co-workers, etc., and may wan to process certain events to help you gain insight into your own thoughts and behaviors. Now if you can find a therapist/coach who can “do it all” with you, you may be a little happier in the end. I especially enjoy my adult ADHD clients, in fact, they teach me plenty, too.

Anyway, that’s the way I see it! Hope it all works out!
Janice D.