Reply To: Feeling like a failure due to overwhelming emotions

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Feeling like a failure due to overwhelming emotions Reply To: Feeling like a failure due to overwhelming emotions

ellenebaer
Participant

Based on my experience feeling emotional after diagnosis is a normal part of a grieving process that will take some time. I was diagnosed when I was in my mid-fifties and I was angry and sad because my life would have been so much better if I had known earlier.

It may take a while for your body and mind to adjust to the medication. Still, you should talk to your doctor about any problems you are having with it.

Reading about adhd is helpful but, trying to implement all of the advice from books and articles is overwhelming. Take a few small steps to improve your life and see if you feel better. Getting support from a therapist or ADHD support group may help you sort out what your next steps should be.

It took two or three years to decide on a new career field and implement a plan to move me out of my job to a job I like better. I did some volunteer work and studied to reach my goals.