Reply To: NO! You don't understand.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame NO! You don't understand. Reply To: NO! You don't understand.

LauraG
Participant

Bbennet, JNahas, and b.boise: what insightful, helpful responses you have given on this forum! I am not the questioner, but I still feel that I have learned from your responses.

I have struggled with depression for many years and was diagnosed with ADHD about 2 1/2 years ago. Since learning I have ADHD, I actually feel calmer because I am beginning to understand why I respond to life the way I do.

Two “no I do not understand“ I can relate to your pain. Sometimes my own husband doesn’t understand my extreme sensitivity. I have found that even when I cannot control my emotions and reactivity, I can later sort it out and explain it to him. The work of Dr. Marsha Linehan on mood disorders has been very helpful to me. She has a manual that you can use which has exercises in it. The exercises concern how to handle various emotions, including anger, fear, frustration, sadness and others.

I got this book as a result of being part of a cognitive behavioral training group. CBT as it is called can be very helpful in sorting out how/why do you respond to a certain situation in whatever manner you do so. To me, it seems like the emotional dysregulation of depression is also linked to my responses as a person with ADHD. When I can analyze the emotions after the wave is over it is easier for me to understand my behavior and try to change it in the future.

I hope this is helpful to you and that you are able to look up cognitive behavioral therapy. It turned the key for me, to help me gain a happier, more peaceful life and better relationships with those people I love the most. Take care and keep trying. Don’t give up, you are not alone.