Reply To: What made you decide to get formally diagnosed?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls What made you decide to get formally diagnosed? Reply To: What made you decide to get formally diagnosed?

My 10 year old child has struggled with focus for a number of years with inattentive symptoms. I avoided a diagnosis because I knew the most effective treatment was stimulants and I didn’t want to go there. I was hoping he would grow out of it. He was still doing well academically (although underperforming for a gifted kid) and had minor behavior problems crop up this year, but his attitude towards school was so bad. He was starting to give up because it took so much effort to focus and keeping up while intermittently focusing was getting harder as academic challenges were growing. I knew we had to change something before middle school. We finally put him on a stimulant 10 days ago. A low dose of the stimulant has been nothing short of amazing for him. He loves it and his whole attitude towards school has changed now that he can focus. I am kicking myself for letting him cope for so long.