Reply To: New and not diagnosed as yet

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults New and not diagnosed as yet Reply To: New and not diagnosed as yet

jh.boise
Participant

Hello, my name is Jim. I live in Boise, Idaho, USofA. I can relate to your journey here. I was properly diagnosed in 2015, at the age of 53. Needless to say, I had a lot of life to look back on, all now water under the bridge.

Where yourofficial diagnosis is concerned, I would encourage you to locate [you might have already] and stick with a doctor who can help you develop very clear official documentation that will serve you in an official capacity going forward.

It is one thing to have your own personal awareness of your ADhD, which your doctor agrees with you about, and something else entirely when it comes to navigating the outside world where your ADhD is concerned. You need to have not only a sufficient battery of testing done to objectively establish ADhD (and other issues that typically accompany ADhD, such as Executive Function Disorder, anxiety, and depression, to name only a few) but, in the wake of that official testing, you need documentation in your record that, going forward, you will be able to use to your benefit.

You should develop the awareness of the need and the habit of documenting everything about all of this going forward. Especially in the context of what in your life will change as you get older, you will need this documentation.

However, where communication with the average bloke is concerned, good luck with that. Those who don’t struggle with ADhD (with awareness, mind you) don’t ‘get it’ and those who point to it to shed light on their foibles are seen as simply making excuses, not being self-disciplined enough, yada, yada. Given that, you will find that – as you likely already know by now – you will need to develop coping strategies so you can function in life as close to ‘neurotypical’ as is possible for you. I tend to think of it like being gay, whereas to the world you have to appear straight, while only other gay people really understand your experience, and then only in their own way. ADhD is largely a lonely affair. Find others who understand it, if you can, but above all remember that you are actually one of a bazillion people who struggle with ADhD every day.

Remember that official documentation. Unfortunately, unlike those with diabetes, we don’t get a wristband that alerts the world to our officially-accepted condition, and ADhD is not like “cancer,” the very mention of which gets people’s attention in an automatically sympathetic way. Would that it should be as straightforward as that.

JH.Boise

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by jh.boise.