Reply To: To Have an IEP or 504 Plan or not to have?

magmom
Participant

Our son was dx’d with Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS) in kindergarten. We took him to an excellent Developmental doctor (Mind Institute-CA) who gave him his dx. With that in hand we got an IEP from the public school and he received a 1 on 1 aide mainstreamed in a regular class; speech therapy and other resources. When he was to enter 4th grade we were told he would be in a “special needs” class and bused to the location which could be in the neighboring city. Since he had “adopted” negative behaviors in kindergarten from other children with issues (prompting us to ask for mainstream class) I was not about to let him go into that class. We withdrew him and home schooled through high school. He now is attending college with accommodations (extra time for tests, recording device for seminars, etc.) I would encourage you, as others have, to get the IEP now. You do not know what the future holds. As a Christian mom myself it might be beneficial to put your child in public school to get the IEP and then switch back. But idk if Christian colleges accommodate either but if she goes to public community college it would be a benefit there. Lots of things to think about and now is the time to do it.