Reply To: What made you decide to get formally diagnosed?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls What made you decide to get formally diagnosed? Reply To: What made you decide to get formally diagnosed?

JKulak
Participant

Ranma, I’m so sorry you went through all that as a child in school. I had some negative experiences in school as well and my mom ended up pulling me out and homeschooling. I’m so glad we are homeschooling my daughter now too because I can do whatever I need to do to help her learn, which in 1st grade means I’m basically doing everything with her to help keep her on task, we keep lessons short and pleasant, take breaks to move/play in between, eat snacks as needed, and I’m trying out some strategies to help with some working memory issues in math. Thank you so much for sharing your story – I feel like you’re telling me to stay in tune with her overall happiness and ability to do what needs to be done. Right now I think we are managing pretty well without meds, but I can see how they could be quite helpful down the road when her schoolwork is more demanding and she’s at an age where she needs to be doing more independent work.