Reply To: I’ve lost hope, will and desire to go on and keep trying

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I’ve lost hope, will and desire to go on and keep trying Reply To: I’ve lost hope, will and desire to go on and keep trying

Clararai
Participant

Oscar,
Sorry to hear all you have had to go through, it is mnot easy to have add or adhd and for those of us parents who do not experience the same things, it is not easy to understand, communicate and relate to our children.
My daughter exhibited some of that spontaneous but dangerous behavior(one time she stuck a charm in an outlet and gave herself an electrick shock at school) and she felt alone for most of her early years. Then when she became a teen she became suicodal. So…drugs, addiction, hopelessness, aiming for perfection, feeling like a failure…she felt like that. With this I mean, many people share this pain, this feeling of inadequacy you talk about.
My daughter found ways to cope(outdoor activities, singing, drawing, listening to music, learning a new language) and therapy (to express and relate) and an antipsychotic med. All of this with a lot of parental support…helped.
So, meds alone are not enough. You have to find what makes you happy(NOT drugs) and build a safe and supportive environment where you are not hurting others, and coping mechanisms(healthy) and maybe some medication with least side effects.
You have lots of work ahead. But all is possible🙏