Reply To: Handling emotions

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Handling emotions Reply To: Handling emotions

kbj2017
Participant

Hey @clauj, I’m Kendall, Nice to meet you!

While I’m not in a relationship, I do have ADHD & I also struggle with my emotions. I don’t think it’s really feeling our emotions that’s the issue. Rather, I think it’s just the way we express them that can be an issue for other people. I feel my emotions VERY DEEPLY, but I don’t show it often. I tend to express them through drawing, or listening to music, just to keep from projecting my emotions onto other people.

However, to your point, it is VERY difficult for us to control our emotions in the moments when we’re feeling them. Sometimes, we will have a moment where we fly off the handle because we’re feeling our emotions so intensely, & we need an outlet to express them. While your boyfriend may be patient with you & understand from knowing you that you may be a bit dramatic at times, you don’t want to keep projecting your emotions onto him. My suggestion would be for you to find a personal outlet to express your emotions & let them out. Maybe through keeping a journal, drawing, or exercising. Anything that can help you manage your emotions, instead of unleashing them on your boyfriend.

Hopefully this helps,
Kendall Boults Jr.