Reply To: A friend upset me… destroyed me for the week.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls A friend upset me… destroyed me for the week. Reply To: A friend upset me… destroyed me for the week.

Tomhurting
Participant

I feel I am experiencing the exact same thing except in a different context. My girlfriend of 6 months dumped me after moving in for 3 weeks. I begged her to stay and work it out and she has since blocked me so I can’t contact her. I’ve been unable to go to work – I tried and broke down crying in front of my boss.

For the last 4 weeks it’s been all I’ve been thinking about. I love her and she told me she loved me too. I can’t understand why someone who loves you wouldn’t stick with you if you own up to your shortcomings and try to address them.

I’m in a blinding pain. I feel like a complete failure. The rejection hurts so much. I want more than anything to fix things but I can’t, as she won’t talk to me anymore. Strangely, she left her cat and some furniture with me as she can’t take it where she’s staying because there are dogs there. Pathetically, this gives me a tiny bit of hope because eventually she will (probably?) contact me sometime to get her cat. My friends say it’s important for me to pack the cat up and take it to her mothers house and let her deal with the problem but I haven’t been able to bring myself to do it.

It helps to know there are other people who can relate to the sting of rejection. I’ve been seeing a psychologist and just starting with a psychiatrist and expect I will be put on meds again. I’ve been on them before, for depression (which I don’t think I have) and ADHD. Meds always seem to come with unpleasant side effects but I’m prepared to try again but doubtful they will help.

I’m in a world of hurt which makes me feel guilty as I have a lot to be thankful for – excellent job, 2 wonderful kids, an understanding ex wife, etc.

I have to say these forums are extremely helpful. It feels good to know I’m not the only one struggling with these issues and there are other people out there like me. Thank you to everyone and I wish all of you all the best.

Keep talking!