Reply To: High School Freshman Refusing to do Schoolwork

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults High School Freshman Refusing to do Schoolwork Reply To: High School Freshman Refusing to do Schoolwork

Penny Williams
Keymaster

Thank you for this reply! My son has a gifted IQ, but CANNOT take gifted/honors classes for this reason — too much paperwork and extra work and faster pace are a nightmare for kids with executive functioning impairments. He was in “gifted cluster” classes twice, and both years were the worst years of his life. His anxiety exploded, even to the point of self-harm one year. His self-esteem also completely vanished.

I wish more people recognized that high intelligence does NOT equal high functioning.

BTW, my son is in inclusion math and english (has a SPED teacher in those classes with regular ed teacher) and average level in all other classes and still can’t complete and turn in all the work. It’s nothing but worksheets and essays, which are a nightmare for a kid with extreme executive functioning deficits and dysgraphia.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism