Reply To: Frustrated I can’t do the most simple things as a mum. Any advice please?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Frustrated I can’t do the most simple things as a mum. Any advice please? Reply To: Frustrated I can’t do the most simple things as a mum. Any advice please?

Whatmom
Participant

I am in the same boat besides the working part.
I cannot handle working, it takes so much out of me to work that I am even more useless at home.
I’m a single mom. I have no idea how to do any of the things I need to do. My doctors will not listen to me so I have not been diagnosed, and if I do find a doctor who listens I can’t remember to go to or make appointments.
I was so distraught trying to make the public school happy jumping through hoops and keeping appointments for 3 different kids in 3 different schools that I actually took them out and havethem in online homeschool. Not to meet school deadlines every day and letting go of the horrible struggles to get up on time get kids to school and get them home was such a huge load off my back.
We have much less laundry, much less daily organization, much less gas in the car, much less stress every day. There were many other reasons I chose homeschool (all 3 kids were failing traditional school anyway because we could not get help for THEIR issues) but a huge one was that I was going insane trying to keep up.

I know all the things I should do to help myself, but my biggest issue is executive functioning, so I cannot DO the things I need to do to help myself.
I feel most guilty about the parenting issues because they affect my children.
The only reason I have not run off to a remote island is because I tell myself this parenting thing is temporary. They will grow up and I will not be doing this the rest of my life.
If I had to be a mom in the sense of caring for children daily the rest of my life I am not sure I could survive. In fact I know I would not. This is the absolute worst.
I love my kids. I absolutely hate parenting with ADHD and I can’t wait for it to be over