Reply To: ADHD or Childhood Anxiety?


This is unfortunately where my inexperience keeps me from answering that question myself. I’ve been diagnosed since I was 11, and I’m 19 now, so I haven’t had the personal experience of making an appointment, but I do remember what my mom told me she did with me. It’s best to go with a Psychiatrist, Psychologist, or a Neurologist. These 3 specialists are best suited to diagnose ADHD since it is a neurological disorder. Searching for any of them in your area is a good first step.

I don’t believe there’s a right or wrong way to approach a doctor about getting diagnosed for ADHD. The important part is that you made the appointment & you went in for the diagnosis. This is just me speaking on the situation (not from experience). You just make sure that you’re fully comfortable with your decision to get diagnosed (even while going through the awkward parts of actually going in and making the appointment/getting diagnosed), because I understand that it can be scary.

And about the hypochondriac thing, doctors & medical specialists are the most non-judgmental people you can find. The last thing I believe they would do is question whether or not you’re a hypochondriac.

Glad I could help,
-Kendall Boults Jr.