Reply To: Frustrated I can’t do the most simple things as a mum. Any advice please?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Frustrated I can’t do the most simple things as a mum. Any advice please? Reply To: Frustrated I can’t do the most simple things as a mum. Any advice please?

sdillinger
Participant

That about sums up my life Honey18! I have ADD and anxiety so I’m often paralyzed with a million things to do but I find myself wandering aimlessly around the house instead. I’ll start 5 different tasks then never finish any of them and feel so defeated that I often just don’t bother.

I have to say, as much of a pain it is to plan meals ahead of time, healthy eating does seem to help my mental health. I usually take medicine but am currently pregnant and not on anything!

With the laundry, I stopped leaving the room. I bought a massage chair and noise canceling headphones (pricey but worth it for cutting out distracting sounds and my own thoughts). I put a load in, sit in my chair and practice breathing techniques or guided meditations I find on youtube. When the buzzer goes off 30 minutes later I switch the loads and then try to tackle another task. And if I forget to get the clothes after that at least they’re already dry and I don’t need to wash them again.

Meditation really helps me. It’s hard to do especially when you know you should be doing other things; but, by focusing my mind for 30 minutes (I suggest starting with just 5 and work your way up.) I find it easier to not get distracted by other thoughts.

Best of luck to you. And, I’m sure you are an Amazing mom! No one’s home is perfect even if it looks it from the outside.