Reply To: I’ve lost hope, will and desire to go on and keep trying

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I’ve lost hope, will and desire to go on and keep trying Reply To: I’ve lost hope, will and desire to go on and keep trying

panchester07
Participant

I relate to some of your story. I also abused drugs and alcohol and now I can’t be prescribed any stimulants for my adhd, which sucks. It sucks to be an addict. But i disagree in the part that you said stupidity, i dont believe we are stupid, we are brilliant people. very creative. Sounds like your family doesn’t understand you and support you. I had a dad that put me down a lot growing up and shamed me trying to fix me. I suffer from social anxiety from that, im afraid of people and what they think of me. I also suffer from OCD, also started at the same age that I moved in with my father. Now I have an understanding mother who is very patient with me and loves me a lot. Im very thankful for her. Last time I was with my father he was understanding too, (he didnt yell at me at least). This forum has opened my eyes about adhd, and it all is starting to make sense. Now i have to rebuild my life, my reputation, having in mind that i have characteristics like impulsivity that can betray me and rub people the wrong way. I’ve made a fool of myself thousands of times. I also think whats the point, but I still have hope. One thing about us with adhd is that we are very perseverant and don’t give up. I believe many would have given up in my shoes, but I don’t. We also have gifts that we can use in our favor, so use your gifts. I always thought my real problem was social anciety and ocd, but being in this forum I see where it all started.