Reply To: To Have an IEP or 504 Plan or not to have?

kbj2017
Participant

If I could offer any advice, speaking from experience as I have ADHD & I got accommodations in elementary, middle, and high school from the IEP. IT IS A HUGE BENEFIT. As much of a pain it was for my mom to review it every year with administrators, she knew it would help me do well in school. I wouldn’t have passed my junior year of high school if I didn’t have the accommodations that I had. I got extra time on my exams (which helped me pass Physics), I had tutoring available for me (this helped me in 10th & 11th grade Math).

The biggest benefit: The A..C..T!
Trust me when I tell you, this will be like a God-send for you & your daughter as she gets older & begins preparing for the ACT to apply for college. Since she has been medically diagnosed with ADHD, with the IEP in place with the administrators, she’ll be able to have extra time to take the exam. Anyway, the group of students who had extra time for the ACT along with me was EXTREMELY SMALL (maybe 10 out of 1500 at the entire school). The extra time was extremely helpful, as I made a 23 ACT under usual conditions, and a 27 ACT under my ADHD accommodated conditions (**covered by the IEP**). My ACT score is mostly the reason that I’m on a scholarship right now that covers about HALF of my college tuition. Although they still pay the other half, the fact that my education is covered is enough for them.

I couldn’t understand this until I first started college last year at 18 years old. Now I thank God & my parents for maintaining that IEP for me since I was 4 years old. LOL!

I would suggest discussing possible school accommodations with her doctor, just like you discuss her medication, just so you’ll know what specific accommodations you want for her before going to the administrators. Basically, work with her doctor more-so than the administrators to get the accommodations you’re looking for. There is a reason doctor’s notes work for excusing children from school. LOL.

I’m only 19 so I don’t have much life experience yet but I did have accommodations in school (I still do in college). I’ll always be willing to give advice or help to other people who deal with ADHD. Although it’s tough to deal with, ADHD just means your daughter is different & unique from everyone else.

Happy to be-of-help,
Kendall Boults Jr.