Reply To: ADHD and Social Anxiety

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults ADHD and Social Anxiety Reply To: ADHD and Social Anxiety

strwbry
Participant

This is interesting. I never really thought about it like that. I still struggle with relationships as an adult. Men are usually easier to read, but women, I’m completely lost. I think I have okay social skills, but I inevitably do something awkward that puts someone off. I usually have no idea what it is. Sometimes, I think I didn’t do anything wrong. I can initiate conversations, but I have no idea where to go from there. I don’t know. I honestly have no idea how to deal with social situations.

I used to have bad social anxiety. I would get sick if I had to meet new people, or get angry or have a panic attack before a big event. Now, I’ve kind of accepted my lack of skills. I appreciate the few people that come in and out of my life, and I’ve developed enough skills to survive meetings, weddings, birthdays. But, please God, don’t make me go to a baby shower. Lol! It’s torture.

I still get nervous sometimes. My husband has ADHD, too. When possible, we take joy in breaking little unimportant social norms and acting dumb at social events. Not enough to cause a scene, just enough to have our own little side party. It’s like, by making fun of the norms we don’t fit into, we’re accepting our own uniqueness. Like, we suck at this and it’s okay. We’re still valuable people.