Reply To: I Still Have ADHD… But Nobody Thinks So

strwbry
Participant

I think “growing out of ADHD” just means getting better at managing or hiding symptoms. One of the hardest things for me to do is keep my mouth shut when my brain is racing. When I can do it, though, people wouldn’t guess that I have ADHD.
Getting tested can be really empowering! And there are a lot of different ways to diagnose ADHD. Someone who is thorough and uses more than one method can tell you for sure.
It’s awesome that you’re doing so well in high school without support! You must be very determined and very bright! 🙂 If you are planning to go to college, I’d get tested sooner rather than later. College isn’t necessarily harder, but there are a lot more responsibilities and independent learning. It’s more juggling, which can be an ADHD struggle. Having a diagnosis will make it easier to get support if/when it may be helpful. Plus, it’s just nice to know. 🙂

I wouldn’t worry too much about making people believe you. Accommodations and treatment are one thing, but making a non-ADD person understand is hard to do. They can love you and care about you, but it’s hard for people to understand something they can’t experience. Especially with so many misconceptions about ADHD floating around. I find that people with ADHD are much more curious about it than others, so I like to make friends with ADHD people when I find them. It’s like we speak the same language, and we’re usually more patient with each other’s quirks.

Have you checked out How To ADHD on youtube? She’s a great resource for “brains” (people with ADHD) and “hearts” (people who love someone with ADHD). It might be helpful. 🙂