Reply To: Is the future really Bleak for late diagnosis?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Is the future really Bleak for late diagnosis? Reply To: Is the future really Bleak for late diagnosis?

ghhorton47
Participant

First of all…..NEVER give up, Butterfly!

I was diagnosed with ADHD only three short years ago at the age of 68! You’re the same age as my oldest daughter. Since being diagnosed, I have been able to make some very positive changes in my life. Fortunately, I am in excellent health, so that alone is a great plus. One thing I became aware of following my diagnosis, was that my brain is able to express things very quickly and clearly. My biggest hobby is music. I can’t imagine living without it! I’m always listening to my huge Spotify playlist library and album collections at home along with the vast music playlists on YouTube.

Everyone seems to react to their ADHD condition differently. I was able to move away from a very confining place to a wonderful small city for retirement about three years ago. I’ve never looked back since. My whole outlook on life has changed. I know you’re at least 20 years or so away from retirement, but my best suggestion for overcoming depression is to go out and volunteer each week for at least 2-3 hours. There are so many great non-profit organizations that can use your talents and skills. Give it a try…..you’ll love it!

I wish you good fortune in reinventing who you are, despite your ADHD.