Reply To: Time wasting on my phone when should be doing more important things!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Time wasting on my phone when should be doing more important things! Reply To: Time wasting on my phone when should be doing more important things!

shona_jane
Participant

I feel your pain. And whilst I’m still working on it, it has got better. The things that have helped me so far:

– I’ve deleted my facebook account (painful for about 3 weeks while the reflex to check it continued, but that eventually went away)

– I try to have 2 mantras: “I will only check email when I have time to respond”. And “I will only check email twice a day”… that works as long as I’m not expecting a response. If I have one day where I’m trying to get something moving and there is an ‘email conversation’ happening, the reflex to check email comes back with a vengeance and I have to start taming it all over again.

– Research on the internet and the rabbit warrens that involves is harder for me to conquer. I think over time I’ve learned to recognise when I’m stuck in the loop of looking for perfect and sometimes I can pull back. Perhaps I need to get an accountability buddy. 

Which reminds me, I added the Rescuetime app and used that to monitor just how much time I was wasting on different sites. It was a bit of a wake-up call. There is also the option to add ‘goals’ for the use of time. I just used the free version. Obviously the novelty value wore off after a while (but not for a good few months), but it is good enough for me to return to if necessary.

– I keep my phone in airplane mode as much as possible… or even just having the mobile data turned off could help.

– When there is no wifi available I have put the settings for mobile data on so that I can’t just click an app and start using it – I have to go to settings and change that app to use mobile data. It’s just an extra barrier to make me think before I click. I still have to be disciplined to change the setting back…

– I’ve thought about paying for an app blocker, and might still do that.

– Medication has helped a bit, though I realise that it’s my habits that need changing not just my neurones (and as someone mentioned, meds aren’t always helpful for this).

Last major thought – I’m still thinking about getting a non-smartphone. Just having an ordinary phone with text capability… it might be my easiest solution!