Reply To: Why does Hydrocodone Help my ADHD, and Adderall XR does not?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Why does Hydrocodone Help my ADHD, and Adderall XR does not? Reply To: Why does Hydrocodone Help my ADHD, and Adderall XR does not?

sweetnthngs87
Participant

It’s been years since I’ve been on painkillers, I had a prescription for kidney stones but I abused them and it didn’t take long for it to lead to a full-blown opioid addiction. One thing I remember very clearly is when reaching euphoria I’d be up for anything so if I was at work tasks I normally struggled with or hated to do I would totally do them cause I was in such a good mood. Obviously, that didn’t last and when the meds wore off I’d become extremely irritable and my tolerance kept going up. I started on 5mg of hydrocodone and when I finally got help 3 years later I was taking 80mg of hydrocode plus 20mg-60mg of Oxycontin. I’ve been off painkillers for 9 years now which were traded for suboxone. However, sometimes I miss the relaxed carefree feeling I had when I would take them but I wouldn’t trade anything to get back into that addiction. From what you mentioned you have actual pain so it’s necessary for you to take your medication but that feeling you get where you can focus and relax might be a sign of euphoria from the medication and that’s something you want to watch out for especially if you have addiction issues that run in the family.