Reply To: Why does Hydrocodone Help my ADHD, and Adderall XR does not?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Why does Hydrocodone Help my ADHD, and Adderall XR does not? Reply To: Why does Hydrocodone Help my ADHD, and Adderall XR does not?

combatTVgirl
Participant

Hi,

have you ever considered you may have anxiety/depression along with your ADHD? Most people do. When I first started taking Adderall, my feelings of anxiety went through the roof; I still couldn’t focus. My Psych suggested trying an anti-anxiety med along with my Adderall. I was reluctant to add yet another pharm to my regimen, so he suggested trying Valerian root instead. (Nature’s valium; that’s where “valium” originally came from!) . So now I take Valerian 3x a day in addition to the Adderall. It STINKS something fierce, but it works. I can focus better than ever!

The thing about Vicodin (hydrocodone) is that it numbs your nerve endings; that’s how it kills the pain. Vicodin doesn’t target ‘just’ pain receptors; it hits everything; it could be it’s numbing the parts of your brain most affected by ADHD. This is just a guess, but I guessing the Vicodin is also ‘numbing’ your anxiety levels. (Remember, “anxiety” and “panic” are not the same thing. Anxiety can manifest itself in a LOT of different ways.) Good luck!