Reply To: Why does Hydrocodone Help my ADHD, and Adderall XR does not?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Why does Hydrocodone Help my ADHD, and Adderall XR does not? Reply To: Why does Hydrocodone Help my ADHD, and Adderall XR does not?

Krismchacer
Participant

Not sure this will answer the question you asked, but I found it interesting because hydrocodone is the only pain reliever that works for severe pain for me. I have had loads of dental problems and a couple ankle surgeries and tried many different pain meds, depending on my doctor’s favorite remedies. But even morphine (which is in the opiate family) and plain codeine (which hydrocodone is a synthetic version of) make me more sedated than relieved of pain. Because I am an RN, I am very aware of the dangers of addictions and opiate attractiveness, but I have not felt it makes me “high” at all. I am very careful about this, because if it is the only pain reliever that works for me, I am terrified of needing actual pain meds for a surgery, etc, and if I am addicted to a narcotic already, it will take massive doses to make a difference. So I take it very rarely. And they are coming down hard on narcotics prescribing, so much that even people in actual pain are having trouble getting it.
This ability of a specific drug to correct/enhance a unique person’s chemical imbalance is an interesting thought because I definitely have ADD (re: focus, not hyperactivity) and was also diagnosed as an adult. I have found Concerta works for me, although I still have to be very accepting of the ADD symptoms that like to break through and cause me trouble from time to time. I try to embrace wholeheartedly the differences in me that make me special; it is a way better philosophy than beating myself up because I am not like the “normal” people in the world. That attitude is a result of years of bullying, victimization, and shame for me as I am. As kids, ADD/ADHD wasn’t a “thing” until the later 70’s, and the boys got most of that attention. Despite this, I have felt the need to try a few different ADHD meds before settling on (the right dose of) Concerta. Give it a try and if your doctor isn’t with you about trying different options after a 4-6 or 6-8 week trial, get another psychiatrist. One treatment does not fit all. *** Researchers? Interesting study drug for ADD—hydrocodone?