3 Focus-Sharpening Recipes for Your Child
These healthy, easy-to-make dishes are rich in protein and taste appeal. Plus, get a week’s worth of allergen-free menus the whole family will love!
English Muffin Wake-Up
Serve this tasty English muffin meal with fruit or a small glass of orange or tomato juice. This high-protein breakfast will keep your child alert and calm all morning!
1 100% whole-wheat English muffin
2 or 3 pieces sliced ham (nitrate-free)
1 or 2 eggs, poached
1 or 2 slices cheddar cheese
Split English muffin with a fork and toast in toaster. Fold up 2 or 3 pieces of ham so that the slices fit on the English muffin. Put 1 or 2 poached eggs on top of the ham. Place a slice or two of cheddar cheese on top and put under the broiler until cheese melts. Top with remaining English muffin half.
This recipe is quick, inexpensive, and nutritious. The kidney beans, canola oil, and flaxseeds are good sources of essential omega-3 fatty acids. The meat and kidney beans supply lots of protein. Pack chili in a wide-mouth Thermos to keep warm for lunch.
1 pound lean ground meat
1 19-ounce can kidney beans, drained, 2/3 cup liquid reserved
1 15-ounce can tomato puree
1 tablespoon dry minced onion
1 or 2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup ground flaxseed (optional)
Lightly brown meat in a hot, nonstick pan; drain off fat. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce heat; cover. Simmer 10 minutes.
Stay-Alert Chicken Nuggets
These crunchy chicken nuggets are baked, not fried. Leftovers can be packed in a lunch bag.
1 cup Grape Nuts®
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 boneless chicken breasts, skinned
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 450°F. Grind Grape Nuts in a food processor until grains are half as large. In a shallow bowl, add salt and poultry seasoning to Grape Nuts and mix well. Put whole-wheat flour in another shallow bowl and beaten eggs in a third bowl. Cut chicken into desired pieces.
Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray with canola cooking oil. Dip chicken pieces in whole-wheat flour, then eggs, then Grape Nuts mixture; place on rack. Bake chicken nuggets for 10 minutes; breasts for 15-20 minutes. Wrap leftovers in waxed paper and refrigerate. Reheat in oven.
Your ADHD-Friendly Meal Plan
Start you child on an allergen-free diet with a week’s worth of delicious dishes, all free of gluten, casein, soy, corn, egg, and peanuts.
Recipes from Dionne Detraz, RD, University of San Francisco Medical Center
- Hot rice cereal with almonds, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, and strawberries
- Chicken or turkey sausage with sautéed potatoes
- Gluten-free (GF) cereal with added nuts or seeds, fruit †and unsweetened rice, almond or coconut milk
- Smoothie with unsweetened rice, almond or coconut milk, fruit, baby spinach, or baby kale plus nuts & chia seeds
- GF oatmeal with nuts or seeds, cinnamon, and fruit
- Almond or coconut milk yogurt with GF granola and fruit
- Breakfast sandwich with Canadian bacon, avocado, and tomato on a GF English muffin
- Nitrate-free turkey or ham slices with rice crackers, baby carrots and pear slices
- Nut butter sandwich (almond, walnut, cashew or sunflower seed) and 100% fruit spread on gluten-free (GF) bread with bell peppers and a clementine or mandarin
- Brown rice pasta with tomato sauce or olive oil and steamed broccoli
- Tuna mixed with vegan mayonnaise on GF bread or with rice crackers plus cucumbers and apples
- Quesadilla with rice cheese and rice tortillas plus avocado and baby carrots
- Lentil soup with a green salad and piece of fruit
- Hummus with GF flatbread or rice crackers plus olives, cucumbers, and grapes
- Piece of fruit and small handful of walnuts (or other nut besides peanuts)
- Baby carrots and hummus* (can use any raw veggie: bell pepper, cherry tomato, cucumber, jicama) *Substitute any bean dip for hummus
- Sliced apple and nut butter
- Beef or turkey jerky with sweet potato, kale, or other veggie chip
- Seaweed and unsweetened applesauce
- Celery with nut butter and raisins
- Brown rice cake with nut butter or hummus
- Grilled or baked chicken breast with brown rice & sautéed veggies in olive oil
- Grilled or baked salmon with quinoa and steamed veggies or salad
- Lean hamburger on a gluten-free (GF) bun (vegan mayo, mustard or ketchup are OK) with baked sweet potato and salad
- Black bean chili with GF/vegan corn bread (Pamela’s makes a good one)
- Stir-fry with mixed veggies and shrimp over rice noodles with coconut aminos
- Roast chicken with roasted potatoes, carrots, and turnips plus steamed veggies or a salad
- Turkey fajitas with salsa and avocado on GF/rice tortillas with a salad or other steamed veggie
- Banana ice cream (frozen banana blended)
- Chocolate pudding (with avocado, honey, coconut milk & cocoa powder)
- Smores (GF graham crackers, Enjoy Life chocolate, and homemade marshmallows)
- Fruit crumble (with fruit, coconut oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, oats, and rice flour)
- Strawberries with coconut whipped cream
- Rice Krispy Treats (with GF rice crisps, brown rice syrup, sunflower butter and vanilla)
- Peach Melba (with peaches and coconut, almond, or rice milk ice cream)