Ask the Experts

Finding the Right School

“My six-year-old granddaughter was diagnosed with ADHD. How can I help her parents find a good school? The private schools say they aren’t good with ‘these kinds of children,’ and the public school seems to promote students no matter what.”

Your granddaughter’s parents or legal guardian should call the local school district and schedule a meeting with the 504 coordinator (every school district is legally required to have one) to discuss your concerns. The coordinator should be trained to understand ADHD and suggest workable options. If not, find an educational advocate to attend the meeting with you. (Look in the phone book, or ask your local CHADD chapter for names.)

Good luck! It’s wonderful that you’re so involved in your granddaughter’s life.