Ask the Experts

Finally Ready to Get Help

“My 19-year-old has finally agreed to see a doctor after years of battling depression and using marijuana. How can I find the best doctor in my area?”

Before you seek the “best,” you have to decide what specialty you want the doctor to be best in: ADHD? Substance abuse? Depression? Instead of “doctor shopping,” I urge you to consult a child and adolescent psychiatrist as soon as possible. This professional can assess all of your son’s problems. Your family doctor should be able to refer you to a good psychiatrist. If not, contact the division of child and adolescent psychiatry at a nearby medical school.

Why is an ADHD Diagnosis So Important?

Meds: Starting Out