Dismissive Doctor

“I think I have ADD, but my doctor is dismissive. There aren’t many psychiatrists in my area. How can I find someone who will listen to a 52-year-old woman?”

I sympathize with your situation. Unfortunately, few mental health practitioners are familiar with ADD in adults, and even fewer are familiar with ADD in women.

You might be able to find a good psychiatrist through the student disability services office at a nearby college or university. Alternatively, the nearest CHADD group should be able to recommend someone. Since psychiatrists are scarce in your area, the most experienced professionals may be one who primarily treat children, but who also see adults.

Related resources