College? There’s an App for That.
With an alarm that makes you chase it around the room, and a pen that records everything you write and hear, you won’t miss a beat in college. Find out why these apps and tools help students with ADHD stay on track at school.
Reviewed on September 26, 2017
Assignments, notes, appointments, dates — there’s so much to keep track of when you’re juggling college classes and campus life. Need a little electronic help when it comes to getting and staying organized? There’s an app for that.
- Wake N Shake (iOS, $0.99) You have to vigorously shake your iPhone to shut off the alarm.
- I Can’t Wake Up! (Android, free) You have to do eight wake-up tasks before the alarm is silenced.
- Clocky and Tocky ($39.99, $49.99) These alarm clocks jump off your nightstand and roll around the room while playing your favorite MP3s.
CALM DOWN, FALL ASLEEP, OR PAY ATTENTION
- Relax Melodies (iOS and Android) Creates a white noise ambience for falling asleep or meditation.
- Sleep Deeply (iOS and Android, $6.99) A hypnotherapist puts you in a relaxed state.
- White Noise (iOS and Android, free lite version and $1.99 full version) Features natural and man-made sounds.
KEEP TRACK OF TIME
- Watchminder (iOS, $1.99) Set alarms and get reminders to help you focus.
- TimeTimer (iOS, $2.99 and Android, $0.99) Displays the passage of time visually.
- Pomodoro Timer Lite (Android, free) Focus for 25 minutes, and the timer signals it’s time for a break.
- FocusTime (iOS, $.4.99) Set work and break intervals.
FIND LOST ITEMS
- Find My iPhone (iOS, free)
- Find My Phone (Android, free)
- Find One Find All Attach a sensor to your keys or other items. Press a button and the item beeps.
- iCalendar (iOS, free) and Google Calendar (Android, free) Both sync with cell phones, allowing you to schedule online, and to send reminders by e-mail or text.
- Watchminder (iOS, $1.99) Organize schedules and manage time.
KEEP A SCHEDULE
BLOCK THE INTERNET
LISTEN TO PRINTED DOCUMENTS
- Voice Dream (iOS, $19.99) Listen to PDF and Word documents, e-books, articles, and Web pages anywhere with this text-to-speech app.
- Read&Write (iOS, Android, free) Text-to-speech software similar to Voice Dream.
TURN SPEECH INTO PRINTED WORDS
- Dragon Dictation (Android, free) A speech-to-type app that allows you to speak and instantly see your e-mail and text messages.
- Dragon Naturally Speaking (Mac and PC, price range from $99-$200) The software types what you say. You can launch applications, open files, and control your mouse with your voice.
- Sky Wifi Smartpen ($100-$199.95) The pen not only writes but records everything you write and hear.