Can I Get Support in College?

I am a student who has received accommodations in high school (extended time and a quiet test location) under a 504 Plan. How can I make sure I get these accommodations in college?

Colleges are not bound by any accommodations or supports you have received in high school. However, they are required to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which says that individuals with one or more disabilities that “substantially limit one or more major life activities” (including problems with learning and attention) may receive accommodations. You will need to contact your college’s Office of Disability Services (every school has one, although they sometimes go by different names), and send them a current evaluation that includes a diagnosis of your attention or learning difficulties and describes which accommodations will be necessary to allow you to succeed.

You should start this process the summer before you begin your college studies. And remember: The responsibility for making sure you receive your accommodations falls on you, not the school.

Updated on September 26, 2017

Leave a Reply