Avoiding Fights on the Job
Find yourself quarreling with colleagues? Follow these ground rules for getting along with others.
- Always look for win-win ideas.
- Make sure the proposals you offer and the positions you take are in alignment with the company’s values and priorities.
- Before proposing a potentially controversial idea at a large meeting, test the waters by meeting in advance with some of the attendees.
- State your position calmly and clearly. It may be helpful to break down your position into bullet points.
- Stick to the facts so as to avoid becoming emotional. ADDers sometimes lose their jobs after making inappropriate comments in the heat of the moment.
- If you get angry, “reset” your emotions with a 30-minute break. Do something unrelated to the situation that caused your anger.
Updated on April 24, 2017