Ask the Experts

Arranging Accommodations in College

“I was kicked out of school after my grades slipped. I have since been diagnosed with ADHD, and believe that was the source of my difficulties. Can I make a plea to be reinstated?”

Yes, you should ask for special consideration. Have the professional who made the diagnosis write a letter to the Dean of Students, explaining that the diagnosis was just made. In this letter, the professional should state that ADHD prevented you from being a successful student. Ask that you be permitted to return now that you are being treated for your ADHD.

If you return and do well, you can then go back and ask that your failing grades prior to treatment be dropped from your transcript. However, keep in mind that 30 to 40 percent of people with ADHD also have a learning disability. Check to make sure that you don’t have both problems. If you do, both need to be addressed.