9 Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before Taking ADHD Medication
Considering ADHD drug therapy for yourself or your child? Ask your doctor these questions so you get all the facts—good and bad—about side effects and safety.
Reviewed on June 20, 2018
Before agreeing to start yourself or your child on attention-deficit drug therapy, be sure to get answers to the following questions:
- What is the diagnosis?
- What is the medicine, and how does it work?
- Have studies been done on it?
- Which tests need to be done before starting the medication?
- How soon will I see an improvement?
- How often do you have to take the medicine?
- How will the decision be made to stop it?
- What are the negative side effects of the medicine?
- What will happen if we miss a dose?
From Making the System Work for Your Child with ADHD, by Peter S. Jensen, M.D. (© 2004 Guilford Press, reprinted with permission.)