ADHD Medications: Are There Any Long-Term Side Effects, Risks?
Concerned about the long-term effects of taking medication to manage symptoms of ADHD? Read this to breathe easier.
Nothing major, in terms of side effects or increased health risks, has been found for taking medications to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) — and researchers have had a long time to evaluate these medications. Amphetamine — found in Adderall, Dexedrine, and Vyvanse, among other meds — was synthesized in 1887 and came on the market soon after as an over-the-counter nasal decongestant spray. Methylphenidate — found in Ritalin and Concerta, among other prescription drugs — was available in Europe in 1939 and came to the United States in 1954.
One caveat: There are no long-term studies assessing these meds in people who have been diagnosed with ADHD. Almost all of the data on stimulants comes from patients who have been diagnosed with narcolepsy — a genetically based sleep disorder that causes excessive sleepiness and frequent daytime sleep attacks. Narcoleptics take mild stimulants daily to treat their condition, often for decades. There have been no reported problems.
Finally, anyone who is concerned about medication safety should remember the risks of non-treatment. Untreated ADHD adversely affects a person’s life in many ways. Those with ADD/ADHD who don’t take medication have a significant increase in auto accidents, drug abuse, unplanned parenthood, and job loss. They also are more likely to separate and/or divorce compared with those who take medication.
How to Treat ADHD in Children: Next Questions
- What ADHD medications are used to treat children?
- Is ADHD medication right for my child?
- What are the long-term effects of ADHD medication use?
- What is the ‘right’ age to start ADHD medication?
- Will my child become a zombie and/or build up a tolerance?
- Will ADHD medication suppress my child’s appetite and/or stunt their growth?
- Does stimulant use lead to substance abuse?
- Do kids need to take ADHD medication forever?
- What are common side effects associated with ADHD medication?
- What natural treatments help kids with ADHD?
- How can I find an ADHD specialist near me?