ADHD in College

Accommodations Denied: The College Edition

The disability officer at my daughter’s college does not believe that ADHD is a real disability. What should I do?

The disability officer at your school is incorrect, both clinically and legally. In seeking accommodations, remember that you always need current documentation of any disability. If you have those documents, the disability officer should be challenged.

Your daughter’s college should have an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or a 504 Plan grievance procedure to address the denial of disability accommodations. Virtually all colleges (except those with a religious affiliation) are covered by the ADA. Furthermore, all colleges that receive federal funds are subject to 504 requirements, even if they are religiously affiliated. This means that there should be a policy that protects your child’s rights as a student with a disability.